Vanilla Pudding/Cream Filling
3/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup cornstarch
3 cups milk
1 tbsp salted butter
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
8 oz cream cheese, room temperature
1. Mix together the sugar and cornstarch in a saucepan.
2. Add the milk to the sugar and cornstarch, and heat on medium-high until you reach a full boil. Boil for 2 minutes.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs. Temper the eggs by slowly adding about 1/3 of the milk mixture to the eggs while continuing to whisk. Then slowly return the tempered eggs back into the pot and the remaining milk mixture. (This is very important to avoid instantly scrambling your eggs in the heat of the milk mixture.
4. Return the pot to the heat and cook over medium, stirring constantly, until the mixture begins to bubble.
5. Turn the heat down to low and cook for 2 more minutes.
6. Remove from the heat and stir in the butter and vanilla.
7. Chill in the refrigerator
8. Meanwhile, bring the cream cheese to room temperature.
9. With the paddle attachment on your stand mixer, whip the cream cheese until fluffy. Then add the pudding and mix at high speed until smooth.
Chill before cutting the pastries in half and filling with pudding. Dust the top with powdered sugar or drizzle with a chocolate sauce. Very yummy!