- 1 1/2 cups all purpose gluten free flour (I used King Arthur)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg plus 2 egg whites
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup whole milk or milk alternative
- 1 cup pureed strawberries (I used frozen strawberries, thawed out)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line a 12-18 cup muffin tin with paper liners and set aside. (I’m exactly sure how many it makes since I did mini muffin size.)
- In a medium bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt.
- Beat butter on medium-high speed for 2-3 minutes, until light and fluffy, scraping the bowl as needed.
- Gradually add the sugar and beat until well combined.
- Reduce the mixer to low and add the egg, egg whites, and vanilla extract.
- With the mixer on low, Slowly add the flour and milk alternately until it’s just combined, scraping the sides of the bowl as necessary.
- Add the pureed strawberries and mix.
- Fill the muffin cups 2/3 full with the cake batter.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cupcakes comes out clean. Transfer cupcakes to a wire rack to cool completely before icing.
3/4 cup Spectrum Naturals Organic Shortening
3/4 cup butter, softened
1 lbs Powdered sugar
1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
You can use all shortening or all butter, but I really like the way it looks and tastes with a blend of both. Dissolve the salt and vanilla with the heavy whipping cream. Beat the butter and shortening for a couple of minutes and then slowly add the powdered sugar and cream mixture. Once it’s all incorporated beat it on high for several minutes until it’s light and fluffy.
I line my piping bag with strawberry jam (without chunks or it will clog the tip) and then fill it with frosting. It makes a nice design when I pipe it on the cupcakes.
- 2 cups hulled strawberries, crushed
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon unflavored gelatin
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 3 tablespoons boiling water
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- Add sugar to strawberries and set aside.
- Soften gelatin in cold water, then add boiling water and stir until gelatin is dissolved.
- Stir gelatin mixture into strawberries and allow to cool.
- Whip cream until stiff.
- Fold whipped cream into strawberries when it (the strawberry mixture) is the consistency of heavy syrup.
- Refrigerate until set.
- Before you frost the cupcakes pipe some filling into each one