3 1/2 – 4 lbs round steak
salt and pepper
2 T vegetable oil
1 onion, sliced thin
2 T tomato paste
1 T all-purpose GF flour
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 T finely chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees with the rack in the middle position.
- Cut the roast crosswise into quarters (remove the line of gristle) to make 8 steaks.
- Pat the steaks dry with a paper towel and then salt and pepper them.
- Heat 1 T of oil in a dutch oven over med-high heat. Brown 4 steaks at a time, 3 minutes per side.
- Add onion to the empty pot and cook until softened (5 minutes).
- Add the tomato paste, flour, garlic, and thyme. Cook 1 minute.
- Stir in diced tomatoes and broth and bring to a boil.
- Return steaks and any juices to the pan. Transfer to the oven and bake for 2 hours, until the steaks are fork tender.
- Transfer steaks to a platter, cover with foil, and let rest 5 minutes.
- Skim the fat from the sauce, stir in the parsley, salt and pepper to taste. Pour over steaks and serve.