Adjust the oven rack to the lowest position and preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
12-14 lb Butterball Turkey (if it’s an organic bird you should brine it for juicier meat)
1. Rinse it under cold water and dry it thoroughly with a paper towel.
2. Place it on a V-rack in a roasting pan.
3. Melt 4 Tablespoons of unsalted butter and brush it all over the bird.
4. Roast it breast-side down for 1 hour.
5. Remove the turkey from the oven and flip the bird using silicon oven mitts, clean dish towels, or whatever works best for you.
6. Lower the temperature to 325.
7. Continue roasting it breast-side up for up to 2 more hours. The thickest part of the thigh should register 170-180 degrees.
(If you are unable to turn your turkey during the roasting process then you can bake it breast-side up for the full cooking time and it will be slightly inferior but still good. Don’t cook it breast-side down though or the skin will turn out soggy.)
8. Let it sit (uncovered) for 35-40 minutes so all the juices can settle.