2 tablespoons unsalted butter or butter substitute
3 1/2 cups corn kernels
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 cup red bell peppers, finely chopped
1/4 cup chopped green onions (green and white parts)
1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1/2 – 1 cup mayonnaise
4 ounces monterey jack or cheddar, shredded
4 ounces sharp cheddar, shredded
Gluten Free Tortilla chips, for dipping
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Melt 1 tablespoon of the butter in a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat. (I used my 10″ cast iron skillet which I could also transfer to the oven for baking.)
- Add the corn, salt, and pepper. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the kernels turn deep golden brown. Transfer to a bowl.
- Melt the remaining tablespoon of butter in the skillet and then add the onions and bell peppers and cook for about 2-5 minutes.
- Add the green onions, jalapeno, and garlic. Cook until the vegetables are softened (2-5 minutes). Transfer to the bowl with the corn.
- Add the mayonnaise, 1/2 the monterey jack, 1/2 the cheddar and mix well.
- Pour into an 8-inch square baking dish (or back into the cast iron skillet). Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top.
- Bake until bubbly and golden brown, 10 to 12 minutes. Serve hot with your favorite gluten free tortilla chips.