My sister-in-law made this for our 4th of July celebration! I’ve tasted many different homemade salsa’s in my life, and I have never liked any of them (usually the tomato flavor is too strong), but this was PERFECT!
- 1 can (28 Oz) whole tomatoes with juice
- 2 cans (10 Oz) diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 1/4 cup onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno, quartered and sliced thin (wear gloves- be careful when handling hot peppers!)
- 1/4 tsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- 1/2 whole lime juice
Note: You will need a 12-14 cup food processor. If you only have a mini-processor, then process the ingredients separately and then mix them all together in a large bowl.
- Combine the cans of tomatoes, onion, jalapeno, garlic, sugar, salt, cumin, lime juice, and cilantro in a blender or food processor.
- Pulse (important to pulse or you will have soup) until you get the salsa to the consistency you’d like—about 10 to 15 pulses.
- Test seasonings and adjust as needed.
- Refrigerate salsa for at least an hour.
I would like to try this again using fresh tomatoes and fresh green chilies (trying to eliminate canned food & BPA from our diet). I will update this post if it turns out just as good.