9-inch baked pie shell
1 ½ cups sugar
1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 ½ cups water
3 egg yolks, slightly beaten
3 tablespoons butter
2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
½ cup lemon juice
- Bake 9″ pie shell.
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Mix sugar and cornstarch in a 1 ½ quart saucepan. Stir in water gradually. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and boils. Boil and stir 1 minute.
- Gradually stir in egg yolks. Boil and stir 1 minute.
- Remove from heat; stir in butter, lemon peel, and lemon juice.
- Let set while you prepare the meringue.
3 eggs whites
¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
6 tablespoons sugar
½ teaspoon vanilla
- Beat egg whites, vanilla, and cream of tartar until foamy.
- Beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time; continue beating until stiff and glossy. Don’t under beat.
- Pour lemon filling into pie shell.
- Spoon meringue onto hot pie filling; spread over filling, carefully sealing meringue to edge of crust to prevent shrinking or weeping.
- Bake in 400 degree oven until delicate brown, about 10 minutes.
- Cool away from draft.