Puff Pastry Ingredients:
- 2 cups (280 g) all purpose gluten free flour (I used King Arthur’s all purpose GF flour)
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum (I omitted since it already contained it)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons (56 g) unsalted butter, diced and kept cold
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup (4 to 6 fluid ounces) cold water, plus more as necessary
Mix the flour and salt in a large bowl. Add the chopped unsalted butter and incorporate the butter with your fingers, pinching it all together. Add 1/2 cup of ice water and stir to combine. Add more ice water by the tablespoon until the dough stays together when pressed. Form the dough into a ball and wrap it with plastic wrap. Place in the refrigerator to chill.
Grate two sticks of butter and keep them in the freezer.
I thought this video was really helpful, if you want to see someone doing the folding and rolling technique.
- Line your space extra wide plastic wrap, remove the dough from the refrigerator, and cover it with another sheet. (If you only have normal width, slightly overlap two pieces side by side)
- Roll the dough into a rectangle that’s about 1/2″ thick and roughly 3 times longer than it is wide.
- Sprinkle one stick of the frozen grated butter into two-thirds of the rectangle.
- Bring the blank part over onto 1/3 of the buttered side.
- Then take the last 1/3 and bring it over the rest. It will be folded like an envelope.
- Turn it over, rotate it 90 degrees, sprinkle generously with GF flour, roll it into a long rectangle.
- Repeat process of sprinkling the 2nd stick of butter on and folding it the same way.
- Turn it over and press 2 small dents into the corner to remind yourself you’ve folded twice. Wrap it in plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator for 5 minutes.
- Place the dough with the mark facing up, the long side of the folded dough facing you, and roll away from you and into the same long rectangle shape. Fold once more into 3rds, and mark the dough 3 times with your knuckle, to represent 3 completed turns.
- Repeat the process of rolling, folding, marking for 4-6 turns, always sprinkle generously with GF flour before rolling it, to keep the butter contained.
- After the final turn, fold the dough in half or thirds to create a smaller packet. Wrap tightly and refrigerate or freeze until ready to use. If you freeze the puff pastry, defrost overnight in the refrigerator before using.